If you aren’t good at loving youself, you will have a difficult time loving anyone, since
you’ll resent the time and energy you give another person that you aren’t even
giving to yourself. - Barbara De Angelis
Until recently, self-love had a terrible reputation. Today, we know better. We know that we should love ourselves. But how? The concept of self-love is still in its infancy, and it’s not always clear how to do it.
Let’s start from a more familiar place. We all know how to love others. From that, let’s learn how to love ourselves.
When you love someone, …
1. … you stand up for them: STAND UP FOR YOURSELF.
2. … you want them to be happy: MAKE YOUR HAPPINESS A PRIORITY.
3. … you believe in them: BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.
4. … you want their dreams to come true: PURSUE YOUR DREAMS.
5. … you want them to express themselves: EXPRESS YOURSELF.
6. … you treat them compassionately: PRACTICE SELF-COMPASSION.
7. … you accept them for who they are: PRACTICE SELF-ACCEPTANCE.
8. … you care about their needs: PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR OWN NEEDS.
9. … you want them to be healthy: TAKE CARE OF YOUR HEALTH.
10. … you comfort them when they are upset: PRACTICE SELF-SOOTHING.
11. … you want to be with them: FIND TIME TO BE ALONE WITH YOURSELF.
12. … you are patient with them: BE PATIENT WITH YOURSELF .
13. … you forgive them: FORGIVE YOUR OWN MISTAKES.
14. … you empathize with them: PRACTICE SELF-EMPATHY.
15. … you give them compliments: GIVE YOURSELF A COMPLIMENT – NOW!
16. … you hug them: WRAP YOUR ARMS AROUND YOURSELF IN A HUG.
17. … you gaze in their eyes: GAZE IN YOUR OWN EYES IN THE MIRROR.
18. … you buy them flowers: BUY YOURSELF FLOWERS.
19. … you write them love notes: WRITE YOURSELF A LOVE NOTE!
20. … you take them out on dates: TAKE YOURSELF OUT ON A DATE!
Love yourself, and the world will fall in love with you.